Cherie Reads

Dino-Basketball (Carolrhoda Picture Books)

Dino-basketball - Lisa Wheeler, Barry Gott I recently received an ARC of this book and read it with my 5 year old son. His thoughts: 1. He loved the pictures. They were bright and full of action and kept his interest throughout. 2. He loved the competition aspect of the story. He picked a favorite team and rooted for them through the entire story just as if he were watching a real football game on tv. 3. This book made him feel like he had something in common with his dad who loves football. My thoughts:1. I agree that the illustrations were fantastic. They were colorful and made us laugh. 2. The story itself is cute and is exciting when read aloud - reminiscent of a sports announcer calling plays during a live game. This really kept my son engaged and excited about the book.3. There are quite a few football terms that many kids - younger children in particular - may not understand (for example: "Holding. Penalty declined," "tailgating," "coin toss" among others). My son did not understand all of these terms but we were able to have a conversation afterward about what they meant. For some kids this is a good opportunity to become more familiar with the game. For others this may detract from the story. 4. As other reviewer's have noted, this would not be a book I would recommend for beginning readers. There are lots of words that are not easy to "sound-out" - the dinosaur names in particular. I don't think this necessarily detracts from the book as long as you understand that before purchasing. I think this book is best when read aloud to the child. Overall this was a fun read and would be enjoyed by any sports and/or dinosaur fan.