Cherie Reads

The Faerie Prince - Rachel  Morgan

It's very rare for me to like the second book in a series as much as I liked the first.  It's rarer still for me to like the sequel even more but I have absolutely no reservations about giving this book a solid 5 star rating. The Faerie Prince is filled with exciting action sequences, swoon-worthy romance, more of Vi's wit and sarcasm, and a couple of really interesting twists.  I try to keep my reviews spoiler-free, but I will say that in my previous review I declared myself Team Ryn and I was not disappointed.  We get a whole lot more Ryn and I loved every minute of it.  The relationship between he and Vi develops  to a whole new level in this book but in a very organic way.  Nothing feels forced or fake about it.  Some of my favorite moments were banter between Ryn and Violet:

"Now you're the one joking."
"Of course." I sigh. "I have nothing but the lowest expectations when it comes to you, Ryn."
"And I shall continue to live down to them."

While there's absolutely nothing explicit or inappropriate for younger readers, the romance still made my heart race and gave me those butterflies that only great romance can give.  There are quite a few swoon-worthy moments.  Here are a couple of my faves:

"He pulls me back into position. 'Oh, I forgot to tell you something,' he says. He leans forward and his lips brush my ear as he whispers, 'You are more beautiful than any other girl in this room."

and:

"It just feels right when you're beside me. It feels like I've been lost in the desert for years, and...I've finally come home."

I'll also mention that I'll never view lightning bugs in quite the same way ever again but you must read the book to experience that scene for yourself.

There's really an amazing balance here between action and dramatic moments.  The action sequences were thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat and then things would slow down and the characters would get a little more vulnerable.  The pacing was fantastic.  Just the right mix of action and drama.

This is really a fantastic series.  Better, in my opinion, than the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa which so many readers praise so highly.  Great characters that I would love to meet in real life, detailed world-building that really gives you a complete mental picture of the settings, lots of action, swoon-worthy romance and a plot that satisfies but still leaves plenty of questions to be answered as the series continues.  As my readers know, there are very few books that I purchase in paper form nowadays.  This series is definitely one of those that deserves a place on the permanent bookshelf of any fan of fantasy, paranormal and/or faeries.

I can not wait until the next book is released sometime later this year.

Source: http://cheriereads.blogspot.com/2013/06/review-faerie-prince-by-rachel-morgan.html